Monday, August 11, 2014
Photos of Japan's wartime atrocities to go on display at China memorial
Haunting photos of Japan's wartime atrocities during World War II will go on display at a memorial hall in northeastern China later this week to mark the Korean Peninsula's liberation from Japan's 1910-1945 colonial rule, organizers said Monday.
The planned photo exhibition has been organized by a South Korean lawmaker, Rep. Kim Eul-dong of the ruling Saenuri Party, and will take place at the memorial in the northeastern city of Harbin on Friday, the Aug. 15 anniversary of the end of Japan's colonial rule over the peninsula, Kim said.
China set up the memorial earlier this year honoring a prominent Korean independence hero, Ahn Jung-geun, who assassinated the peninsula's first Japanese governor-general, Hirobumi Ito, in October 1909. Japan reacted angrily to the Ahn memorial, calling him a terrorist.
In a statement, Kim said, "It is very meaningful for us to hold the photo exhibition at the memorial hall to Ahn Jung-geun, who punished Hirobumi Ito, the cause of a catastrophe in human history."
"To safeguard peace in the East and the world, we must prevent Japan's militarism at all costs by forming cooperation with countries in East Asia victimized by Japan's Pacific War," Kim said.
A group of 10 South Korean lawmakers will also attend the planned photo exhibition, Kim said.
Kim is a granddaughter of Korea's first general of independence fighters who staged battles against the Imperial Japanese army in the early 1900s.
Japan approved a resolution earlier last month that reinterprets a key article of Japan's pacifist constitution to exercise the right of "collective self-defense," which means that Japan can fight abroad for the defense of its allies if they are under attack.
South Korea and China have kept a wary eye on Japan's move to expand its military role amid concerns that the power could be misused to repeat its former militarism.
SHENYANG, China, Aug. 11 (Yonhap)